Thursday, October 2, 2008

Super EASY whole wheat bread

I love homemade whole wheat bread, but I was always afraid to make it because it seemed so hard, but then I was given this recipe. It is seriously the EASIEST bread to make...with maybe 15 minutes prep time. (given that you have a Bosch or a Kitchen Aid)

10-12 cups whole wheat flour (I usually use about 11)--if you grind your own flour it's about 7 cups wheat ground
2 rounded tablespoons dry yeast
500 mg vitamin C (optional--I've never used this and it turns out fine)
4 cups very warm water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey (or you can substitute sugar)
1 tablespoon salt

Mix half of flour, yeast, vitamin C

Add water, oil, honey, and salt (new trick that someone just taught me...add the oil, then measure the honey in the same measuring cup as the oil and it will all come out no problem). Mix

Add remaining flour, and knead for 8 minutes.

Make into 3 loaves (shape with your hands). Let rise in the oven with a bowl of boiling water for 30 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (just let the oven warm up as part of the 30 minutes.)

No comments: