Thursday, October 2, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup

A few years ago I discovered Moosewood (YUM!)...one of the first things I tried there was butternut squash soup. Since then I've been searching for a recipe that tastes as good as what I had there, and I think I've finally found one! I was perusing the internet and found this recipe on a blog. Unfortunately I quickly scribbled it down and didn't bother to write down the blog where I found it to give the owner the credit deserved.

2 1/2 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 med. onion
1/2 tsp sage
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 TBS butter

Saute onion in butter, add butternut squash and cook for 10-20 minutes until tender. You can add 3-4 TBS broth to keep from burning. Add sage, thyme, and nutmeg and saute for 1 minute. Add remaining broth and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Cool and puree (directions noted that it is a disaster if you don't let it cool before you puree). Return to stove and reheat.

No comments: