Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Low Fat Banana Bread

I always get asked for this recipe. Kids & adults both love it--what more could you want?

2 eggs
3/4 C sugar
3 well mashed bananas (about 1 cup)
1/3 C vanilla yogurt
1 T oil
1 T vanilla
1 3/4 C flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t soda
1/2 t salt
1/3 C coconut
optional, walnuts or pecans

Mix dry ingredients (including coconut) in a bowl. Mix sugar, yogurt & oil. Cream together then add eggs, vanilla & bananas. Mix well then add dry ingredients until smooth. Add nuts. Put in a single loafpan and bake at 325 for 1-1.25 hours.

variations:

-I like to split the flour in thirds and use 1/3 white, 1/3 white whole wheat, 1/3 oat flour (pureed oats in the blender)

-We love the coconut flavor so I substitute 1/2 of the vanilla for coconut extract

-Sometimes I add flax seed which gives a little extra nutrition and texture

2 comments:

Angella said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I have been thinking about this delectable delight since Abby's shower.

Toria said...

I'm trying to make this and the granola this weekend. I have powdered coconut hopefully that will work because I assume the measurement is for shredded coconut. I'll post some feedback.