Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Honey Wheat Bread

This is our favorite whole wheat bread. Since I like to experiment, I have tried just about everything I could think of with this recipe. I do not recommend any of them. The only change that does work is to allow the loaves to sit in the fridge for about 8hrs for their second rise, then just put them straight into the oven.

Dissolve in small bowl:
1/2c warm water
1T yeast
1t sugar

Combine in bowl of stand mixer:
12oz evaporated milk
1/4c water
1/4c melted shortening
1/4c honey
2t salt
2c whole wheat flour

Mix yeast mixture into flour mixture
Allow to rest for 15min

Add 3c all purpose flour, 1c at a time
Knead dough until smooth (for my kitchen aid, this means mixing at speed 2 with the dough hook for 3-5min)

Cover dough and raise for 45min

Punch down dough and divide in half
Form each half into a loaf and place in a greased pan
Raise another 30min (or in fridge for 4-8hrs)

Bake at 375 for 30-35min

No comments: